Avinash Kaushik of Occam’s Razor has posted ten such questions which are:
1. What is the difference between your tool / solution and Google Analytics? Please share your top five, just five, reports that are different from GA and why?
2. Are you 100% ASP or do you offer a software version we can buy and install in-house? Are you planning to do a software version?
4. Please help me calculate the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) for your tool.
5. What kind of Support do you offer? What is included for free and what would cost more? Is free 24×7? What are the limits? How far will you go to help me solve my technical problems and answer “silly” questions from my business users?
6. What features do you have in your tool that allow me to segment the data?
7. What options do I have to export data from your system into our company system? Can I get all the raw data? Can I export processed data? How easy it is for me to export 100,000 rows of Processed (not Raw) data out of your tool into my other company systems? What happens if I terminate my contract with you?
8. What kinds of features do you provide for me to integrate data from other sources into your tool?
9. What are two new features / tools / analytical advancements / acquisitions is your company cooking up that would keep you ahead of your competition for the next three years?
10. Why did the last two clients you lost cancel their contracts with you? Who are they using now? Would you permit us to call one of them?
Some of the questions are purely theoretical and very few vendors would actually be interested in answering them. For example, the last two questions. However, this is a nice systemization of questions that we need to ask.