Link building, like most things are best left to the experts. However, if you have a deadline and every link builder you know seems occupied, Debra Mastaler has a helpful link building checklist that will come in handy, when the occasion (unavailable link builders) arises.
Steps to link building:-
- Apply to the Yahoo! directory (cost Ã¢â‚¬â€œ moderate)
- Submit to solid directories such as Joe Ant, GoGuides, BOTW, Ezilon, Rubberstamped and Massive Links. (cost -moderate)
- Join a Chamber, your industry Association, and clubs. (cost – low to moderate)
- Issue a press release announcing the new site (cost – low)
- Buy a list of high-profile journalists and contact directly for one-on-one interviews (cost -moderate)
- Backlink your competitors and those ranking ahead of you for link and advertising leads. (free)
- Develop a "how to" video for your site and it's products. Submit to the video and HowTo sites (cost – low)
- Buy ad space in offline publications annoucing your new site (cost -moderate to high)
- Find an established business in a complementary industry to host a co-promotion or buy their mailing list to send out link incentives. (cost – low)
- Find out who's podcasting in your niche and buy space, offer to be a guest or donate products to be given away in exchange for either of the above. Look for high visibility podcasts to advertise in, sweeten the deal with incentives. (cost – free to low)
- Locate the prominent bloggers in your niche and start adding to the industry by commenting on their views. Don't be obnoxious and don't do it everyday. Join their community and they'll join yours. (cost – free)
- Be sure to incorporate an incentive-to-link program in all your external correspondence such as autoresponders, confirmation emails, reminders etc. (cost free)
- Create a corporate blog and invite bloggers, journalists, and your customers to contribute. Continually promote the site and it's writers and in turn, they'll support your site by linking to it. Don't forget to add an RSS feed as well. (cost free to low)
- Be sure to add the blog to all the blog directories as well as the RSS feeds to RSS directories.
This post is an education for link building newcomers and a crucial checklist for all link builders.