According to a recent study conducted by Shareaholic, Facebook continues to rule social media referral traffic in the first quarter of 2014, followed by Pinterest and Twitter in the second and third place respectively. The report examined which of the eight most popular social media sites referred the maximum traffic to the Shopaholic network of sites and how much.
This chart shows the referral traffic data for the months of December 2013 to March 2014. The first four columns, following the source column, show the “share of visits” and the last two columns tell by how much the share of each social media platform has grown or fallen. Below are the important key points from the study:
- In March, Facebook alone accounted for 21.25% of the referral traffic to the sites. Facebook' share of traffic grew by 38% since December 2013.
- Pinterest strengthened its second position by marking a growth of 48% in its share of traffic since December. In March, it accounted for 7.10% share of overall traffic, far greater than the remaining social networks.
- Twitter’s share of overall referral traffic held stable at around 1%. Last month, Twitter scored 1.14% share of overall traffic, a rise of 1.59% since December.
- There was astonishing progress in StumbleUpon. The social media network drove 0.99% of overall visits to sites in March. Its share of traffic grew 14.91% in quarter 1.
- Reddit didn't even stir with a 0.21% share.
- YouTube brought up the rear with a poor 0.09% share of referral traffic in March. The share shrunk by around 52% since December.
- Google+ is on a plunge by occupying the 7th place beating LinkedIn. Google+ saw a growth in its share of traffic by 53%. While, LinkedIn only pulled 0.04% of overall traffic to sites. The LinkedIn share fell by 21% in Q1 of 2014.
The study analyzed data from more than 300,000 websites with a reach of 400 million+ unique visitors every month.Facebook Beats All Other Social Media Platforms to Drive Maximum Referral Traffic in Q1 of 2014!,