Aaron Wall has come up with a very simplistic tool used as an extension for Firefox. Known as 'Rank Checker', this extension allows a user to check the rankings of websites by grabbing data from major search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Microsoft Search Engine Result Pages .
This tool is very useful for site-owners and users alike. For a detailed description of Rank Check visit http://tools.seobook.com/firefox/rank-checker/
Tracking the rankings of websites allows a user to:
- Understand the methodology behind search results.
- Gain more perspective towards general algorithmic trends.
- Be the first to know, when the relevancy algorithms change.
The tool is quite simple and easy to use. Thus giving the user an opportunity to gain knowledge about SEO competition at professional levels.
- If the user preferred site is not listed in the top 200, then a – will appear.
- If a user has used long URLs or keywords, they would be omitted in the display. In such a case, they can be made visible by scrolling over them.
- The position of a website in the search results can be verified by double clicking on the URL.
- Personalized ranking results are also available through this tool, if the user is logged into Google through Firefox. These personalized results can be turned off through the Rank Checker options.
This tool has certain settings that allows a user to ping search engines for data at a slow rate. The recommended delay for setting pings is 2 seconds.
Domain name and keywords combinations can be uploaded directly in the Rank Center console one at a time. Adding to this feature, it also gives an option of adding multiple keywords matching a domain.
Some of the most effective feature of Rank Checker are:
- International: In the preferences section, a user can choose which international version of the search engine, would he like to pull the results from.
- Presets: Allows to save and create a set of keywords that can be used to research data on. It is very beneficial in segregating the data from different websites, under different categories. These preset keywords can be saved and opened from the Rank Checker Console.
- Scheduled Tasks: Allows an user to set a particular time for Rank Checker to look for the preset keywords. It can be daily, weekly or monthly, as per the user's requirements. The scheduled tasks can be activated by:
a. Click on 'Tools' on the top of the Firefox browser.
b. Click on Rank Checker and then click on Scheduled Tasks.
A simple yet, very effective feature of this tool is that, data generated by Rank Checker can be exported to a .CSV file (spreadsheet). In the presets window there is an option to download the history of the keyword list to a CSV file, which shows a user how the rankings for his mentioned keywords change over time.
The results in the .CSV file would look something like this: