A recent post on Search Engine Watch informs about 11 Guidelines for Getting Authoritative Links. Authoritative links ensures value to web promotion strategy. It is obvious that search engine will give preference as well as value to out bound links from authoritative sites.
Easier said than done. Getting authoritative links involves a lot of effort. Getting links from high value sites such as government sites, education sites, news sites, and other comparable sites counts a lot. And getting authoritative sites to link to you would be possible firstly when you have great content on your site.
Some of the guidelines for acquiring authoritative links are as follows:
- Focus on links from authoritative sites that are relevant.
- Be prepared for the fact that success in a campaign to get a link from an authoritative site might take many months.
- Be prepared for your strategies to fail more often than they succeed. If you do a really good job, perhaps 1 in 4 of your campaigns will work.
- Be prepared to invest in building a relationship. Your first communications with the authoritative site may not include a request for a link.
- It's a campaign. You need a strategy, and it may have multiple steps. Be prepared to invest in the strategy to make it work
For the complete list read the full article.