Google has announced that 'Urchin' or better known as Google Analytics has been phased out of Beta mode and is universally available now. As of now, Urchin is only available in English. However, other languages would soon be added to the software and International versions will soon be released.
Urchin is a software that runs on the servers, thereby enabling a user to:
- Analyze his firewall protected content, such as intranet.
- Analyze 5 years' worth of server log data.
- Know if his site's visitors are getting "Page Not Found" (404) errors.
- Have his site's traffic data audited by a third party.
- To create custom reports or integrate with other tools, like a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system.
- To integrate his e-commerce logs directly with Urchin.
However, due to highly advanced Google Analytics market-oriented reports, Google is suggesting users to work on Google Analytics instead of Urchin. Another possibility is that the user can use both the softwares together, to get maximum advantage out of Google Analytics as well as Urchin. The Urchin software is available only through Urchin Software Authorized Consultants and they also offer support and consulting services. Urchin is compatible with Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD and supports Apache (all platforms) and IIS (Windows only).