Google rolled out several updates to the specifications for Google Shopping Feeds and Product Taxonomy. Most of the updates will be witnessed in September 15.
Listed below are the changes brought to the Shopping Feed specs:
- Units and Quantity attributes are now available for products sold in bulk or high volume in United States.
- Apparel and Variants will be now available under a new section which is called the Detailed Product Attributes and Item Groupings. This is to help merchants describe their products with more detail.
- You can use an ID from the new list of Google Product Category IDs instead of having to enter the complete Google Product Category path.
- There are now tighter requirements for GTINs and ID Attributes.
- Shipping requirements, which enable the total price to show to users, is expanding to Switzerland, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, and Japan. The shipping rate specs won’t be enforced until February 1, 2016 because getting that implemented is more complex for many merchants.
Improvisation brought to the Product Taxonomy are recommendations and not requirements. But some of the categories have been retooled significantly. This includes Arts & Crafts, Decor, Hardware, Sporting Goods and Motor Vehicle Parts & Accessories. A number of child categories have been eliminated, there are more categories under Food, Beverages & Tobacco as well as the Mature categories. The full list of 2015 changes is available in Google Merchant Center Help.
Merchants can begin submitting updated feeds by the end of this week.