A webmaster gets several kinds of messages everyday via webmaster tool. But very few of us actually know how many different kinds of messages Google sends, and why they send them. In a recent video reply on Youtube, Matt Cutts, Webspam head at Google, informs the webmasters about different types of messages sent via Webmaster Tools.
Every webmaster receives hundreds and thousands of messages each month via webmaster tools. Matt informed that, Blekko, a search engine has observed that about a million spam webpages are created every hour. That’s a lot! The web world is overflowing with spam.
Here are some of the categories of web spam messages:
- Automatically generated content
- Participating in link schemes
- Sneaky redirects
- Hidden text or links
- Doorway pages
- Scraped content
- Participating in affiliate programs without adding sufficient value
- Loading pages with irrelevant keywords
- Creating pages with malicious behavior, such as phishing or installing viruses, trojans, or other badware
- Abusing rich snippets markup
- Sending automated queries to Google
Matt also shared the percentage of different type of messages that have been sent across January to February 2013 to the webmasters via webmaster tool.
- Black Hat SEO – 90%
- Content has no or little added value – 4%
- Hacking – 3%
- Buy Link – 2%
- Sell Links – 1%