It is time to get the mobile version of your site in place for Google has launched Googlebot-Mobile to crawl websites providing content designed for smartphones. This new bot crawls with a smartphone user-agent along with other feature phone user-agents. Google announced the new bot as a move to increase their coverage of smartphone content. Now smartphone users can get ready for a better search experience.
According to Google, the primary user-agent strings that Googlebot-Mobile will use presently are-
- "Feature phones Googlebot-Mobile:
- SAMSUNG-SGH-E250/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/126.96.36.199.c.1.101 (GUI) MMP/2.0 (compatible; Googlebot-Mobile/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
- DoCoMo/2.0 N905i(c100;TB;W24H16) (compatible; Googlebot-Mobile/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
- Smartphone Googlebot-Mobile:
- Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7 (compatible; Googlebot-Mobile/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)”
The smartphone Googlebot-Mobile will crawl to look for smartphone optimized content as well as smartphone-specific redirects.
Apart from this, Google has also launched a new feature to utilize these signals- Skip Redirect for Smartphone-Optimized Pages.How this will work was explained by Google, “When we discover a URL in our search results that redirects smartphone users to another URL serving smartphone-optimized content, we change the link target shown in the search results to point directly to the final destination URL. This removes the extra latency the redirect introduces leading to a saving of 0.5-1 seconds on average when visiting landing page for such search results.”
Google has cautioned treat every Googlebot-Mobile request as a human user with the same phone user-agent. In a previous blog post Google has described further guidelines. What do you think of this new launch? Importance of mobile search on the rise? Do leave your comments.