In an interview with Eric Enge at SMX Advanced 2013, Matt Cutts said that he would love to see a world where link builders would first the content or the website and then decide if the site is worthy of a link. At present, link builders are more concerned about getting links, ignoring the quality of the website.
Here are some major takeaways from the interview:
- Link Building is Not Bad – Cutts doesn't disapprove of link building but all Google wants is that people should link to compelling content.
- Press Releases Links – Your aim should not be to pass maximum links with the press release but to give the piece of news best possible exposure. More and more editors should read PRs and cover your story.
- Guest Posts – Matt Cutts believes that guest posts have become more like article banks and directories as a large number of people are doing it wrong way.
- Content Syndication – If you find your content being syndicated on other sites, tell Google that you are the original source. You can use rel=canonical, authorship, or link to main source of content to publish the article well before others.
- Links – These are undeniably the "best way" to rank content.
To read the full interview, Click HereMatt Cutts on Importance of Link Building and Mistakes Being Done by SEOs!,