Citing reasons for shutting down as:
- Threadwatch's edgy news spurned a whole breed of similar sites. These sites gained popularity and made Threadwatch seem like a farce.
- Some people comment writing things they didn't believe just to stir up conversation or hijack the threads, while others proudly submitted fake news in an attempt to manipulate markets.
- Many of the best members of Threadwatch started their own blogs, and contributed more on their own blogs and less for Threadwatch.
- Many writers known to Aaron Wall wrote, submitted, and marketed each piece of Diggspam promoted to the Threadwatch homepage.
- I was not a strong enough leader to make it work and/or my priorities were elsewhere.