This piece on link building is in continuation of the series on ‘alternative link building methods’, that need to be explored and implemented for greater benefits. Previously, I discussed essential tips for Link Building Via Twitter, now I am throwing light on using Google Alerts for link building.
Yes, you know all about Google Alerts as an effective tool for brand and reputation management. But it can be equally effective on building new relationships- and then building links. As as SEO, you must explore newer and faster ways of link building, and your trusted Google Alerts is just one of them, that you may have ignored till now.
Have a look at easy tips for link building using Google Alerts:
1. Nurture New Relationships- Whenever you get an email alert about your keyword/brand name being talked about, have a close look at the people doing so. These people are really important for you as they are in your niche. So, you have located these like minded people with interest in your brand/product/services or even keywords. Hang on to them- make a connection-get to know what they are all about and then keep up with them. Forging connections with the webmasters/bloggers you come across, will let you build valuable, relevant links back to your site
2. Link To Relevant References- If you have come across bloggers/ writers/ websites mentioning or writing about your niche, then remember to link to them the next time you write your article. Use Google Alerts to get you the relevant references to link to within your write up. The party that you have linked to, may also do so in return, and voila! You have a link.
3. Keep track Of Your Write ups- After distributing your write ups/blogs/press releases, remember to use Google Alerts to keep a track of them- by the exact title. Now you will be notified if another site picks up your piece. Respond immediately. Contact the site in picture, and offer them the supply of original content for their site. For the content, you will be allowed to post a link on it to your site.
4. Comment on relevant blog posts/write ups- This is pretty obvious. Comment on a related blog post, while leaving your link behind. People will stream to you. But remember the keyword here- relevant posts, and you can rely on Google Alerts to get you those. The traffic you get from such links will be your target audience.
5. Find Relevant Videos To Link To Your Site- Use Google Alerts to find the videos relevant to your keyword/brand name. Once you have that, link the video in your write up. Doing this will not only make your write up seem more authoritative, but will also alert the person hosting the video. Then you stand the chance of getting a link back from the producer of the video.
6. Follow Your Competition And Spy On Them- Keeping an eye on the competition always helps. Use Google Alerts to create an alert about your competition, and then get to know where are they getting their links from. Maybe you can latch on to those sources too? Get the links from where your competition is getting them.
To Conclude- Use Google Alerts to find and locate the people and websites who are talking about you and your business. You can start networking with these people in your niche, even if they are on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. If the talk about you in these circles is favorable, zoom in on them, and make a connect. You stand a strong chance of getting a link back, as they already see you in a favorable light.