This session at Salon A was conducted by SEO veteran and thought leader Jim Boykin who is a stalwart in the field. The session covered important information about updates by Google, links, content marketing as well as the impact of these on SEO and the future of search engine optimization.
- Brett Tabke (@btabke) – CEO, Pubcon Inc.
- Jim Boykin (@jimboykin) – Founder & CEO, Internet Marketing Ninjas
Jim covered the important points regarding the Google updates and their impact as well as links, content marketing and how SEO will shape up in the future. As the CEO of Internet Marketing Ninjas and owner of many online communities such as WebmasterWorld, Cre8asiteForums, Devshed.com, SEO Chat and Threadwatch amidst others, Jim is a force to contend with in the SEO world and his insights have a lot of value for people in the field as well as marketers.
Jim started the session with the complete line up of Panda updates that have happened so far in terms of:
- Panda Updates 2011: Panda Update 1.0 (February 24th) to Panda Update 3.1 (November 18th)
- Panda Updates 2012: Panda Update 3.2 (January 15th) to Panda Update #23 (December 21st)
- Panda Updates 2013: Panda Updates #24 and #25
- Recent Panda updates in 2014
Next, Jim focused on the following Penguin updates:
- Penguin #1: April 24th, 2012
- Penguin#2: May 25th, 2012
- Penguin#3: October 5th, 2012
- Penguin 2.0: May 22nd, 2013
- Penguin 2.1: October 4th, 2013
- Penguin 3.1: ANY DAY NOW
Jim spoke of how the next Penguin update is expected soon.
How To Counter This
Jim had a three point program which revolved around:
- Monitoring links
- Pre-emptive link pruning
He also cautioned against going in for services that portray themselves as cheap but reliable defenses against Penguin.
Updates For Payday Loan
These updates target commercial phrases and hence the aim here is to use tools like Spyfu for an effective comeback, Jim said. He also indicated that commercial phrases with high click per click volume and high search volume are more likely to attract the ire of Payday loans.
Jim highlighted the following Payday Loans updates:
- Payday Loan 1.0: June 11, 2013
- Payday Loan 2.0: May 16, 2014
- Payday Loan 3.0: June 11, 2014
He also spoke of the different updates from Page Layout ranging from the following:
- Page Layout #3: February 6th, 2014
- Page Layout #2: October 9th, 2012
- Page Layout #1: January 19th, 2012
Jim spoke about the latest local search Penguin update which was Pigeon 1.0 released on July 24th, 2014.
He also spoke at length about the Hummingbird update. Jim also spoke of the following valuable updates:
- Knowledge Graph Update
- In Depth Articles
- Authorship Photo Drop
- Authorship Removal
Jim said Google Authorship may be dead but Google Rank is not.
How To Get Past the Updates
Jim said it was important to brainstorm and be everywhere. He spoke of the need to consider all aspects of the site such as:
- Facebook presence
The Importance of Real Citations
Google always cares how content and content creators are present on the net and this is why real citations are important, said Jim.
He also outlined ways to get real citations namely:
- Academic articles promoted to academics
- Fix links and tell people about errors in their sites
- Research competitor backlinks and pages that got backlinks
- Comments on real blogs in recent posts
- Read forum comments and threads on related forums
- Search for and interview industry people
- Get people who are authorities on the subject to write for you
- Infographics, viral content, widgets, white papers: These are all important in the context of real citations
- Awards, badges, contests, blogs, guides, videos and communities – these are also good ways to garner real citations, Jim felt.
Influencers = Brand Evangelists
Jim also talked about the importance of brand building and spoke of how niche influencers can play a very big role in this. He also talked of how brand evangelists or influencers accomplish the following:
- They write for your brand
- They write on your product pages
- Brand enthusiasts share regarding your brand on other's product pages
Value for Links
Jim asked the audience to create value for links to come! New link building = link deserving. He concluded the session citing the importance of this.Session on Google Updates with Jim Boykin: #pubcon Las Vegas, 2014, Day 2!,