Google Analytics expert, Daniel Waisberg shared a tip on setting up custom alerts for increase in 404 page request, on Google+ profile.
We know that nothing is as worse than the user landing on 404 (page not found or error page). In case the page is showing 404 error and the site owner wants it to be present in search results, there's a bad bug present on the site.
Most of the webmasters will either check their error log or monitor a page in Google Analytics. Daniel has shared the steps that will let receive alerts from Google Analytics, when 404 errors increase:
- Log in to Google Analytics
- Navigate to top-left and click on "Admin"
- Click on the profile for which you want to create the alert
- Create a Goal by using 404 URL
- Click on "Custom Alerts" and make a new alert.
- See the attached image