Google News is being seen as a good source of traffic to a site. There has been an increasing interest in how to get sites included in Google News. There is a post at Seoroundtable that details on the process involved. The technical requirements for the inclusion are:
- In order for the Google crawler to correctly gather articles, each page that displays an article's full text needs to have a unique URL that does not change. Google cannot include sites in Google News that display multiple articles at the same URL.
- The URL for each article must contain a unique number consisting of at least three digits.
- Keep in mind that Google cannot include sites for which the URL of the main page includes a date. URLs with dates in them often change on a daily or weekly basis. This prevents Google from crawling the site for new content, as Google is unable to detect the most current URL to be crawled.
The post also enumerates a few must do's and helpful features. They are:
- Provide a good historical background of the site
- Show awards the site received
- Give stats on the site
- Tell them about your editors and authors
- Tell them about who links to your site (if the Google blog links to you, that is a good thing)
- Make sure you are news related or mostly news related.
- Make sure your site complies with the technical requirements, and show them that is does.