Volkswagen’s Darth Vader ad has come on top of the top 20 viral video ads of 2011. This chart has been announced by Unruly in partnership with Mashable. Other top videos include-a Hollywood Megamercial, Angry Birds, Kate and Will, and singing hamsters. Unruly is one of the top names in social video advertising based out of London.
The 2011 Viral Video Chart as well as the Mashable Global Ads Chart have been powered by Unruly. The winner of the most viral video ad was picked on the basis of the number of shares on Twitter, Facebook, and the blogosphere. And not on the number of views. Viral factor is determined by the number of shares and not views.
Volkswagen’s record-breaking mini Darth Vader ad, The Force, came on top, by having a huge 4.71 million social media shares in its name. There were 46.05 million views since its release on February 2, and still counting!
The is the complete list of 2011's most shared video ads:
- Volkswagen: The Force: Volkswagen Commercial – 4,713,179 shares.
- DC Shoes: Ken Block's Gymkhana Four; The Hollywood Megamercial – 2,028,238 shares.
- T-Mobile: Angry Birds Live – 1,783,607 shares.
- T-Mobile: Royal Wedding – 1,733,419 shares.
- Kia: Party Rock Anthem-Kia Soul Hamster Commercial – 1,424,110 shares.
- Ape With Ak-47 – 1,132,201 shares.
- David Cornfield Melanoma Fund: Dear 16 Year Old Me – 1,072,004 shares.
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reveal Trailer – 1,062,829 shares.
- Nissan: Poneis Malditos – 956,661 shares.
- Nestle: Contrex – Ma Contrexperience – 97s – 950,988 shares.
- Official Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – The Vet Vs The Noob – 922,218 shares.
- Carlsberg Stunt with Bikers in Cinema – 899,550 shares.
- Official Ojai Valley Taxidermy TV Commercial – 830,036 shares.
- Red Bull: The Art of FLIGHT – Snowboarding film trailer featuring Travis Rice – 810,453 shares.
- McDonald’s Philippines New Commercial 2011 "BFGF" – 756,141 shares.
- Channel 4: Danny MacAskill – Industrial Revolutions – 696,190 shares.
- Trace Urban: The most amazing beat box video ever! – 687,528 shares.
- Pepsi: Unbelievable David Beckham – 543,812 shares.
- Samsung: Unleash Your Fingers – 542,851 shares.
- Westfield Stratford City: 100 YEARS / STYLE / EAST LONDON – 529,832 shares.
This list is a proof that brand promoters are already capitalizing on the viral potential of the social web and have recognized a video’s potential for brand advocacy!Top 20 Social Video Ads Of 2011!,