You have seen them quite prominently in search results- videos are right there in the top 5 places. It is evident now that the search engines are incorporating video, images and news into standard search results. So, as an internet marketing pro, it is up to you to use this to promote your site. You can now have increased visibility by implementing basic video SEO principles.
Why Video SEO?
There's more on the effectiveness of video SEO. A study by Forrester Research shows that properly submitted videos are 53 times more likely to get a first page Google ranking. The fact is that Google is showing videos on the top of search results, and that too fairly quickly. When submitted correctly, publishers get 25 percent or more of their videos to produce first page results. To help the search engines find video content, it is necessary to submit the videos in a right manner.
Tips For Right Video Creation-
So, you are clear now, that you will put up a video for your site. But how to create a video is equally essential. Here are a few tips:
- Relevant and Informative videos-This is the first and the most important step when you get down to creating videos. The best and perhaps the most loved videos are the “How to..” videos, where people get to learn something by watching the video. You can create these step by step instructions on relevant topics. For example, if you have a gourmet food site, then you can upload a video about how to make a simple delicacy.
- Video Must be less than 5 minutes – Try to understand this- your user is in a hurry, and no one would want to see a detailed video about something for more than 5 minutes. There is too much stuff on the net to distract. In fact the highest average time is 3 minutes only. So you need to edit your videos a bit, and reduce the chance of users getting bored. They will also look at your brand favorably.
- Video thumbnails are necessary to lure people to watch the video- It is like a trailer- that will help the viewers to choose whether or not to view your video. Every site has a different methodology of showing the thumbnails- it may be from the beginning of the video or from the middle (as YouTube does). So you need to make sure that these sites display the right thumbnail- that will attract and hold on to the users.
- Offer video content in multiple formats- This really helps so that users can pick on the format that is compatible with their systems and network speed.
Tips For Video SEO-
Now, when you have created the video, you can either upload it on your site, as well as submit it to the video sites like YouTube and Vimeo. But before that you need to optimize the video. Here are the steps you can follow:
- HTML content for the video- the video must be surrounded by HTML content. So that the search engines can get additional information from the surrounding page. You can also add a text transcript or external captions as text that you publish on the page with the video- to help the engines get more information about the video.
- Use Keywords- Video SEO needs optimization with target relevant keywords. Similar to the content SEO, you have to find keywords, and then use them accordingly. You must use keywords in file name too.
- Title- Search Engines look at the titles first. Use relevant keywords and also come up with an attention grabbing title-keeping with the theme of your site/brand.
- Tags- Make sure that you use keywords and phrases to tag your videos. Your purpose is to optimize the video for search queries that the users may type.
- Video Files Metadata Optimization- Like you do in text SEO, here too, you can optimize your video by using relevant keywords in the metadata. Your meta descriptions must have keywords in it. Make sure to encode the keywords into your video’s meta data. Tag videos with specific keywords, you can also go by tagging each scene.
- Use the word- video- as a keyword- People often add the word “video” in their search queries. Like people may search for- “Prince William wedding Video” or maybe “How to style your hair video” that is why, you must use 'video' as a keyword.
- Get Links as well as backlinks to the video-Use the relevant keywords and phrases as the anchor text for these links. You can indulge in cross-linking to other videos from relevant web pages.
- Bookmarking the video will always be a great help.
- Create Video sitemaps / MRSS / RSS- make it easy for the search bots to find your videos and index them.
- Create A One Video Directory- Move all of your videos into one folder and make sure to upload all your future videos to this same folder. This will allow easy access to all your videos to both bots and the visitors.
- Avoid Flash Video Players- Search engines have difficulty in crawling flash players, so they are best avoided.
- Optimize your URLs- In the same way that you do this for other web pages, you will want to optimize your URLs so that they to contain information about the video. Also, make sure you only have one video per URL.
- Branding – The first and the last frames are perfect for branding. You may start your video by something like- “Nature Fresh Spa presents- Make your own home spa.”
- Go Social With Your Videos- Encourage viewers to share your videos-put it on social networking sites. Make it easy for users to share your video on You Tube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace. Spend time in Tweeting the video and linking to videos from social media pages.
- Embed videos in blog posts- You may link your videos in blog posts- this will not only improve your readability, but also generate huge interest among readers, as visual media is always more appealing. Here is an example of how it makes the blog richer:-
These tips should help you in making your videos searchable. However, these steps are to be followed in both cases- if you are uploading a video on your site, or on a video sharing site. Need more? Have a look at these Video SEO Tools
Here is a list of Video Sharing Websites:
|Your File Host||5|
Video SEO is evolving fast, what with the entry of smartphones and touchpads, people want to watch, rather than read. It is now an essential part of online marketing, and must be a part of marketing plans of all marketers. You must remember to submit videos and pages in parallel, for better search results. And when on the video platform provider, make sure that it will allow links back to your site.