With an enhanced search functionality, new features and a cool new look, Yahoo! Local is raring to go. After remaining neglected for a while the current Yahoo! Local is sleek, personalized and has more helpful features.
As the Yahoo! Search blog says:
"We've been working on some changes to our Local search capabilities to better utilize the millions of user ratings, reviews and other user-generated content from our community, to ensure their voices are heard loud and clear in your search results. There are also new opportunities to offer up your opinion and experiences with people in your community with the new Yahoo! Local. In particular, you can now comment on user reviews in addition to reading other people's and be a part of a vocal and active user community. We hope that the additional opinions and reviews will help make everyday decisions like picking a florist, finding a great day spa and zeroing in on the nearest Starbucks that much easier for you."
New features include:
- Three tabs:
- Local Profile
- Latest Review
- Latest Collection
- Recently Commented
- Commenting on User Reviews Ă˘â‚¬â€ś No longer will it feel like shouting into the wind when you write a review. Now the people who benefit from your tips can reply back. YouĂ˘â‚¬â„˘ll also be able to track comments on your reviews from your My Local page.
- Weekender Ă˘â‚¬â€ś Offers a weekly selection of events, movies (including show times and reviews), dining picks, and more to help you plan your weekend.
- More Ă˘â‚¬Ĺ“Local BuzzĂ˘â‚¬Âť Ă˘â‚¬â€ś Shows the top-moving search terms in your hometown with a new search cloud and exposes the most recent reviews of businesses in your area to see what people are buzzing about.
- Best Local Events Ă˘â‚¬â€ś Taps into the Upcoming social events database to surface the best events in your hometown.
- Most Popular Ă˘â‚¬â€ś Highlights the best of a city in the key categories of Restaurants, Health & Beauty, and Home & Garden.
- My Local Improvements Ă˘â‚¬â€ś A new Ă˘â‚¬Ĺ“save for laterĂ˘â‚¬Âť feature so you can quickly archive those hidden gems you uncover along with your recent reviews, tags, and collections.
Missing now is the once popular 'one click ratings system'. Also, many users from small towns are unhappy with the fact that Yahoo!Local does not feature all the important areas.
"ItĂ˘â‚¬â„˘s true that it sort of reminds you a little of the ourcity mashup – at least the header – that was done by Yahoo! India and based on a Yahoo! Hackday project. Overall the new Yahoo! Maps are integrated so much more smoothly and intuitive that not only the eye is pleased."
A welcome change and a commendable update. Well done!