It has been five years now when Yahoo! first came out with its own search engine. Here are some of its major milestones:
- Opened our search infrastructure and index to outside developers with BOSS.
- Opened our search results page to outside innovation with SearchMonkey.
- Launched Search Assist, still the most sophisticated query assistance technology on the Web.
- Launched a suite of mobile search products including Yahoo! OneSearchTM.
- Acquired, grew, and improved Delicious, a top social bookmarking tool.
- Launched Site Explorer to help site owners to manage their presence on Yahoo! Search.
- Protected users from potential viruses, spyware, and spam with SearchScan.
- Integrated music and video players directly on the search results page.
Here are the future goals of the company:
- Continuing to open our search results page and infrastructure to improve Yahoo! Search and encourage innovation in the industry.
- Focusing on detecting and responding better to query intent.
- Breaking the ten-blue-links paradigm by developing a richer, more adaptive search results page.
- Making it easier to conduct and share online research with Search Pad.
- Delivering a new and better advertising experience that improves relevance for our users and ROI for our advertisers.
Happy Birthday once again Yahoo!