With the year coming to an end, it's time to look back at the most popular & talked about events. YouTube is out with the Most Watched Content & Video Ads in 2013.
Prankvertising has been one of the most prominent trends in the past one year. The term was a result of the online campaigns where brands played pranks on unsuspecting public. Carrie's Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise and Pepsi's Test Drive were some of the most watched videos on YouTube. A couple of social video campaigns including LG’s Meteor Strike and the Department for Transport’s PubLoo Shocker in the U.K. are also added in the list.
Top Trending Videos for 2013 on YouTube
For the first time, three videos – Evian Babies, Volvo Trucks, and Carrie the movie were on the YouTube Rewind top trending videos of the year. This shows that more brands are trying to understand what works on YouTube. Moreover, brands have also pushed themselves away from commercials and are creating videos that look more like content and less like ads.
The Epic Split video of Volvo Trucks has inspired many. More than 1,200 videos named "epic split" have been posted since the Volvo video went live, which have been viewed by 4.2 million views.
Evian's Baby&Me video received 20 million views in just two days and the number grew to 100 million after 10 weeks.
The YouTube Top Trending Videos of 2013
- Ylvis – The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) by tvnorge (270 million views)
- Harlem Shake (original army edition) by kennethaakonsen (95 million views)
- How Animals Eat Their Food | MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann (88 million views)
- Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version) by SteveKardynal (73 million views)
- baby&me / the new evian film by EvianBabies (67 million views)
- Volvo Trucks – The Epic Split feat. Van Damme by Volvo Trucks (58 million views)
- YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar) by thelonelyisland (53 million views)
- Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise by CarrieNYC (50 million views)
- THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading by BadLipReading (44 million views)
- Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2 by ERB (42 million views)
It is also seen the viral video culture on YouTube is growing bigger.
The Fox got 270+ million views on YouTube, was played on Dancing with The Stars, and was one of the most searched Halloween costumes. It is eventually being turned in a children's book
Miley Cyrus' video got twerking added to Oxford Dictionary and also made the wrecking balls iconic
Harlem Shake videos were watched more than 2.5 billion times. Over 1.7 million videos of or about Harlem Shake were uploaded on YouTube this year.
Top Trending Ads for 2013 on YouTube
- baby&me / the new evian film (1:16)
- Dove Real Beauty Sketches (3:01)
- Child of the 90s | Internet Explorer (1:41)
- Pepsi MAX & Jeff Gordon Present: "Test Drive" (3:46)
- Girls Don't Poop – PooPourri.com (2:16)
- Ship My Pants (0:36)
- GEICO Hump Day Camel Commercial – Happier than a Camel on Wednesday (0:30)
- Official Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial "Farmer" (2:03)
- Volkswagen Game Day 2013 Commercial | Get In. Get Happy. (1:03)
- Audi 2013 Big Game Commercial – "Prom" (1:03)
If marketers look at the list closely for 15 seconds, they will understand a pattern. Even though short videos on Vine and Instagram saw an increase, viewers did watch ads on YouTube that ranged up to 3 minutes and 46 seconds long.The YouTube List of Most Watched Content & Video Ads in 2013!,