When a client hireâ€™s an SEO company, the sole motive is to boost their website traffic and improve its search engine rankings. But at times there are certain things they end up doing, unknowingly, which can negatively affect their websiteâ€™s performance and wreck the SEO consultantâ€™s efforts. For instance, they might change the website’s navigation structure or the meta tags or even change the core website content, all this can seriously affect the search engine ranking of their website.
I thought it will be nice to have a list of things that the clients are â€œnot supposed to doâ€, when the SEO process is on.
Some of the things â€œnot to be doneâ€ by clients, while getting their websites, search engine optimized are:
- Host change: The website’s host location must not be changed without informing your SEO company.
- Spam: The client must ensure that their site is not involved in any spamming activities like antisocial, email flooding, hacking etc.
- Forgetting to renew the domain or hosting of their site: Downtime, which means the period for which the website doesn’t function, or shows an error message; can lead to the site getting dropped from Google’s index. Â Typical errors are if the website’s hosting or domain is not renewed, server is down for 3-4 days at length. So always host with a solid hosting company with atleast 99.9% uptime guarantee and have domain renewed for atleast 2-3 years.
- Content or title/meta tags changes: If the content or meta tags are changed without any knowledge to the SEO company, then the website may not give expected results.
- Virus or malware: If the website is attacked by a virus or malware and has been caught by Google, then there is a high chance of getting the website blacklisted.Â
- Duplicate content: If your website has some content, copy pasted from somewhere on internet, even if it’s a micro- site for additional marketing, then it can wreck SEO company’s efforts by getting a duplicate content penalty.Â
By keeping all these things in mind, you can help your SEO company to do its work efficiently and make a mark for your website.Â
Also if the SEO Company is as proactive as PageTraffic â˜º they should be monitoring your site regularly.Â Believe it or not, we have around 10% clients or their webmaster pressing one of these seven buttons every month! Finally to overcome this, we introduced a process called SEO Audit.
A typical monthly SEO Audit includes:
This process is spread across the whole month. We even keep a screenshot of the homepage of the client’s website so we know 🙂 Â After all prevention is better then cure!