There was a time just a few years ago when video took forever to upload and view on the internet. Dial up and slow connections would make for long periods of time when viewers would stare at the screen while the video loaded and buffered. Even when a video was viewable, the picture was often choppy and the audio was not in sync with the video. All of that changed with the rise of high speed internet connects that are now accessible on smartphones, tablets, and any other number of mobile devices.
The rise of the digital age has made video the primary way to reach the largest numbers of potential customers. Videos are watched at an astounding rate that continues to climb every year. These statistics highlight the ways videos have taken over online activity.
- Video is expected to include 82 percent of all online traffic by 2021
- Of all the people around the world that use the internet, about a third the, or close to two billion people, use YouTube to watch videos (YouTube)
- Video views on mobile devices like cell phones and iPads continues to increase 100 percent each year (Insivia)
- Video content on social media is shared 1200 percent more than posts with text and photos (G2 Crowd)
Types of Digital Marketing Videos
Each business is different with unique challenges and marketing needs. There are a wide range of options for digital marketing videos that serve varying purposes and reach different kinds of audiences.
Sales Generator Videos
The reason you went into business was to sell your product or service so you can make money. The following types of marketing videos are designed to produce an increase in sales and help you grab a larger share of the market in your industry.
- Humorous Video: Comedy is subjective. What is funny to you may not be funny to others. However, more broadly appealing humor is a great way to establish a connection with your audience and draw them into your brand message. Humorous videos are also far more likely to be shared on social media, enabling you to generate an exponentially larger viewership of interested consumers.
- Traditional Commercials for New Formats: Television audiences are more specialized and segmented. Streaming services and other digital platforms have thinned out viewers, changing the scope and impact of television commercials. Network, local television, and streaming service spots still reach the masses in a way that will result in a spike in sales.
- Brand Awareness: There are few certainties in marketing, but there is one thing you can be sure of. You will convert zero percentage of the consumers who are unaware you exist. Company profile videos that are embedded on your website home page, posted on your social media properties, included in email marketing campaigns, and other marketing outlets serve to introduce your company and the way you do business to those consumers with little or no prior exposure to your brand.
Product Introduction Videos
Video production is a highly effective medium and the best way to highlight products of all kinds and showcase benefits, functions, and features is through product videos that can be distributed to a wide range of digital marketing assets. Video allows you to break down aspects of your product to demonstrate why it is better than the competition and how to maximize functions and features. Today’s consumers will rarely make a purchase without first viewing a product video.
- Product Demonstration: Demonstration videos are among the most popular types of video on social media networks like YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. This is your chance to showcase the finer points of your product and show consumers how your product provides more detailed information on how the product will benefit viewers.
- Lifestyle Video: Lifestyle marketing videos put your product into action. Showcase the solutions you provide through real-life situations and circumstances. Consumers will connect with your brand and view your business as a credible and trusted resource.
- Interview Video: Testimonial videos allow viewers to connect with satisfied customers that have used your product or service. Real life experiences instill a sense of credibility and trust in your message and your brand. These videos are used for a variety of sales and marketing applications.
Educational, Informative Videos
Educational videos about the products and services you provide allow the presentation of your brand as a trusted industry leader and a valuable source of information and services to existing and potential customers. You know your business better than anyone and these types of marketing videos give you the chance to show it while educating viewers on what sets your brand apart from the competition.
- Explainer Videos: These short, concise marketing videos offer the chance to share your brand story to viewers on your website, social media, email marketing, and other digital marketing assets. Explainer videos present a problem, show how your product or service provides solutions to that problem, and explain why your solutions are superior to the competition.
- How-To Videos: Video is a powerful medium that can break down complicated processes into easily-understood steps and procedures. Online users see the value in these informative videos, as evidenced by the high search volume beginning with “how to…”
- Webinar: Long-form virtual meetings take on an even more crucial role during these times of remote working and social distancing. Large amounts of important information can be delivered to unlimited numbers of viewers through live streamed events and on demand video used for a variety of marketing and internal applications.
Videos That Increase Views, Exposure
Online consumers are more focused and reliant on video content than ever. Many online shoppers will not make final purchasing decisions before consulting product and social media videos. Increased brand awareness and online presence through the strategic distribution of engaging and compelling video content drives quality traffic to your website to help increase sales and revenue.
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising: Highly trafficked search engines like Google and YouTube offer a variety of ways to reach targeted consumers through pay-per-click advertising. Because you only pay when someone clicks on your ad, you can put your videos in front of large groups of consumers actively searching for your type of business without great expense. Popular blogs, websites, and apps also have pay-per-click ad opportunities.
- Social Media Marketing: There are two primary ways to take advantage of the billions of active users on social media throughout the world. Free business pages allow you post content and grow a following of customers. Paid advertising on massive networks like Facebook and LinkedIn can target consumers that fall within certain demographics of people most likely to be interested in your products and services.
- Viral Videos: Videos that draw a significant audience of viewers that share the content with their contacts and friends exponentially expands its reach. Viral videos that catch fire and make the rounds throughout social media platforms will heighten your status and raw large volumes of website traffic.
Videos Are Powerful Digital Marketing Tools
Technology and consumer trends have converged to make video a necessary part of any digital marketing plan. The types of video production and distribution avenues used will determine the success of video marketing strategies designed to drive interested customers to your website and compel them to make a purchase or schedule a service.